Just a Few Stairs on Our Hike!

Just a Few Stairs on Our Hike!
This lead up to where the green grass grows!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Today is Mother’s Day. I was blessed to have the opportunity to wake up (very early, around 4:30) to breakfast in bed compliments of Baleigh and Gabrey. They set the alarm in their room for 3 o’clock to ensure that I had my special early morning treat BEFORE I got up for the day. Luckily for all of us, they slept through that alarm for almost an hour and a half. J. Then Steven and I took our six beautiful girls to church where the five younger ones were involved in a pretty amazing Mother’s Day program. Something kind of amazing happened as I sat through church service this morning. A guest speaker, a mother, a former classmate and friend of mine was the speaker. As she stood in front of a pretty crowded congregation and told her story of trials she had come through personally along with her family and how those trials ultimately brought her closer to God, I was listening intently and tears were just streaming down my face (along with every other mother in those seats). At one point I thought to myself, “I wish it would just rain so the soccer games for today would be cancelled”. I heard God talking to me! He said, “Be happy that you have the opportunity to spend that time with your children. Enjoy it while you can because they grow fast!” That was exactly what I needed! Immediately, I was praying. I was thanking Him for such healthy and happy children, and praying that the sun would come out strong to dry up this ground so we can get out for our soccer game this afternoon. Tears were streaming down my face as I thought about how many compromised children I work with daily and how many of those parents would love for those children to be able to get out and play in a soccer game or even walk for that matter.
Isaiah 40:11 “He tends to his flock like a shepherd:  He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.”
I may interpret this all wrong but what I read in this last sentence is that God will gently lead each of us that have children (“young”) to care for them the way they should be cared for. Of course there are obvious needs of any human, food, shelter, water etc. But there are other needs and those include also obvious things such as love, compassion, guidance etc. But there are subtle needs that children need as well like a parent to not grumble about soccer practice/games because they themselves are busy but instead pray that the weather will hold out so that our children can enjoy exercise and fresh air. I pray now that I can find a new strength to enjoy my children and encourage them even after a long and tiresome day as they ARE growing so fast and there will be a day (before I know it) that they don’t “need” me in the ways that they do now nor will they desire the time and affection from me that they do now.  I pray for patience as I guide my children to love God and know his word, and I pray that one day they can instill these values into their own children, their own families. It is hard sometimes for me to remember that “my” children are really God’s children and I am basically on loan to take care of them until the day that they go to be with Him.
Genesis 22:11-12 “Abraham! Abraham! Here I am he replied. Do not lay a hand on the boy he said. Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”
Abraham showed that he was willing to give up the most important thing to him, to obey God. I aspire to be that way. I pray that I can find that obedience.
Happy Mother’s Day!

3 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a really good mother's day.
    I write and maintain a spiritual blog which I have titled “AccordingtotheBook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I love this! And tears were streaming down my face as I read your blog....I have returned the favor!! :) I will now be a faithful follower!! When you get a chance, you can read my blog at www.chapter1page1.blogspot.com Thanks for your encouragment today. So grateful that God had our paths cross again...a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete